Fandom: Sherlock Holmes AU
Author: smallhobbit
Rating: G
Challenge: #102 - Law & Order: Criminal Intent - Mad Hops
Spoilers: None
Summary: The Ferret has a new girlfriend
Aemelia Vole emerged from the mouse hole and said, “What on earth is… Oh, of course, I might have known.” She had been going to ask what was causing the strange noise that was disturbing her concentration, but seeing the Ferret in the middle of 221B giving a variety of mad hops, she had the answer to her question. However, that did lead on to a further question. “Why?”
Poley the Moley who had been watching the Ferret with a resigned expression, while sitting for safety on one of the dining chairs, sighed. “He’s fallen in love with a rabbit, but only from a distance. He’s decided that if he learns to do bunny hops he’ll be able to approach her, because she might, and I quote, ‘be overcome by my brilliance’. Or more likely, alarmed at a mustelid heading directly for her.”
“Understandable on her part,” Aemelia agreed. “So how’s he getting on?”
“About as well as you would expect.”
The table rattled as the Ferret banged into it.
“His main problem seems to be when he bounces off both back legs he forgets to move his front ones and ends up rolling onto his back.”
“Is Mouselet not around? She’s not in our hole,” Aemelia asked.
“One of Ferret’s early attempts knocked over a glass with some water in it. Fortunately the glass didn’t break, but the water dripped into Mr Holmes shoe. She went to find a rag to dry it up. Here she is!”
Mouselet trotted over. “Has he improved?” she asked.
“Not at all!”
“I’ve pushed some rag into the shoe. It’s the best I can do. Mr Holmes will get a bit of a surprise when he puts the shoe on, but it will be better than having a wet foot.”
There was another loud bang and the Ferret lay on his back, breathing heavily. “I’m getting there,” he said, “but I’ll have a bit of a break now and carry on after lunch.”
Aemelia, Poley and Mouselet shook their heads in resignation.